Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Graduation of the Brothers of the Cross

The last couple of days of the pilgrimage are filled with highlights from the foot washing ceremony, to the final Eucharist atop a beautiful mountain, to the Emmaus walk to the Garden of Gethsemane. And don't forget the Stations of the Cross down the Via Dolorosa Rosa in Old Jerusalem.  I am hoping the men will come home, decompress and then share some final thoughts with me that I can post for all of you.

I have enjoyed this journey with you - hope I haven't bored you!  I learned a lot :)
Take care all as you welcome your pilgrims home with a refreshed spirit.

Here are a few pictures to leave you with:

 Emmaus
 
 
 Olive Trees in the Garden of Gethsemane
 Olive Trees in the Garden of Gethsemane
 
VIA DOLOROSA



 
 
Some final words from Father Alex:
 
 

I can hardly believe that as I write this my trip is nearly over. Tomorrow evening at 11:53 pm my flight takes off back to the United States. There are so many lessons I have learned, so many new friends I have made, and so many ways that God has touched my heart. I feel refreshed in spirit, thought I admit my legs are very tired from all the walking!

We spent the day visiting the sites that served as moments in the Jesus’ last week of life before his death on the cross. The only site we visited that was not in sync with that was our first stop, the site of Christ’s Ascension. Liturgically, the Feast of the Ascension occurs 40 days after Easter. It is always on a Thursday. On that day we as Christians celebrate that when his time on earth had ended after the resurrection that he was lifted bodily into heaven. Many people find this strange. But the key is to remember that Jesus goes to heaven body, soul, and spirit to be with God. The humanity that he has taken on is now fully redeemed. And best of all, because he has gone to be with the Father in heaven he can now be everywhere. This feast is important. The most interesting part of that site was a piece of rock which claimed to have been where Jesus had stepped. In fact you can almost see a footprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment